21st April 2018
Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Australian Migration Blog
Australian Immigration Lawyers
Australian Immigration - Telephone Advice Service Australian Immigration - Skpe Video Conference
Home | Employment Visas

Employment Visas

Temporary Visas

A temporary visa allows employers operating lawfully in Australia and overseas to utilise approved skilled workers in specific occupations required in Australia to fill temporary vacancies. The most common temporary employer sponsored visa is the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) under a Standard Business Sponsorship.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) – Standard Business Sponsorship

This program offers employers the opportunity to sponsor approved skilled workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis. Employers can nominate a number of positions for different occupations under the one sponsorship application.

This program, commonly referred to as the General Skilled Migration program (GSM), is appropriate for those who wish to migrate to Australia but do not have an employer to sponsor their application.

There are a number of visa options under the General Skilled Migration program and prospective applicants should first determine which skilled visa best suits their particular circumstances and needs.

If you want to move from a subclass 457 visa to permanent residency you can do so either via:

  • the Temporary Transition pathway after 2 years in Australia on a subclass 457 visa;


  • the Direct Entry pathway where you obtain a skills assessment and have at least 3 years work experience in your occupation.  

Find out more at how to transition from a 457 to permanent residency. 

Permanent Visas

Lawfully operating Australian employers are able to sponsor skilled workers from overseas to work in Australia in particular occupations considered to be required in Australia.

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

This scheme allows lawfully operating Australian businesses and employers to recruit overseas workers on permanent visas to work in Australia in full time highly skilled positions which are unable to be filled from the Australian labour market.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)

This scheme allows lawfully operating businesses and employers in regional Australia to employ skilled overseas workers in positions which cannot be filled from the local Australian labour market.

See also: Labour Agreements

Australian Migration Lawyer


Established in 2002, Haag Walker Lawyers has successfully assisted thousands of Australian businesses and individuals to navigate migration law requirements.
Read what they have to say

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much will it cost to lodge a visa application?

A. You will need to pay a Visa Application Charge (VAC) upon lodging your visa application. This charge is payable to the Australian Government. All charges are non refundable (in all but exceptional circumstances) regardless of whether your visa application is ultimately granted...
Read More